Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Sweet Treat DIY - Chocolate Chip Cookies And A Rule Breaking Technique Or Two

I'm a little behind schedule.  I had a different sweet treat that I was going to post, but I don't have all the potentially necessary step by step photos to show you exactly how to make it.  The last time we made it, I got so into the process that I completely forgot about the camera.  Too bad, because it's a delicious recipe that you would most definitely want to make.  Your friends and family would have been so impressed that you made something this awesome that they would have lavished you with praise and, maybe, large gifts of cash.  It would have changed your life.  Really.

No worries, I'm still planning to share it with you.  Just not today.

Instead, I'm going to share my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I know you're probably thinking that there are a million chocolate chip cookie recipes, so this one can't be all that special or life changing.  But it is.  It comes from years of experimenting with different recipes, changing and tweaking ingredients, proportions and techniques.  I can't tell you how many cookies my family and I have had to eat to create this level of perfection.  I'm just that dedicated.  You're welcome.

A quick note before we begin.  I'm a rule breaker.  I also hate having extra bowls and utensils to clean up, so while most recipes will instruct you to sift (or stir) your dry ingredients together, I'm going to tell you to add the baking soda and salt to your butter/sugar mixture, instead of premixing it with your flour.  Pastry chefs everywhere are gasping at the thought, but it works and will save you a step as well as an extra bowl and make you feel all cool and dangerous.  Again, you're welcome.



Rule Breaker Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips (or dark chocolate if that's your thing)

Most recipes are going to tell you to preheat your oven at this point.  Don't do it.  To achieve the perfect texture, you really need to refrigerate the dough until it is thoroughly chilled.  More on that later.

Beat together softened butter and both sugars in a large mixing bowl.  Add eggs, vanilla, baking soda and salt and continue mixing until they are fully incorporated.  Gradually add flour.  Stir in chocolate chips.

The dough will become quite stiff after refrigerating it, so now is the time to divide it into portions.  I use a #30 scoop (1 1/4 oz.), but you can roll it into 1 1/2 inch balls or rounded spoonfuls if you don't have one.  Refrigerate the portions in an airtight container or zip top bag until they are thoroughly chilled.

When you're ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°.  Place chilled dough scoops on an ungreased baking sheet with a few inches between each scoop.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.  They should still appear slightly underbaked, that's what you want.  Allow to cool briefly on baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack or serving plate.  Any cookies that aren't eaten immediately should be stored in an airtight container.  Leftover unbaked dough can be kept refrigerated for up to a week.

For a little variety, you can easily turn these into chocolate, chocolate chip cookies.  Just add an extra tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1/4 cup baking cocoa to the butter/sugar mixture, then proceed with the rest of the ingredients and baking instructions.


Coming up next on our DIY spree, it's either a surprise or I'm just saying that because I don't know what I'm going to post.  Come back and see for yourself!



Willoughby


You can now follow me through Bloglovin.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Please.
Send.
Giant.
Box.
IMMEDIATELY.

These look delicious and chewy and I love how you are a rule breaker!

You are cool like that!